Earlier this week, we released several user experience enhancements for Make, our powerful, drag-and-drop WordPress theme. We also updated Make Plus, the premium plugin that adds even more great features to Make.
All of these updates come directly from user feedback and feature requests. At The Theme Foundry, we closely monitor your comments and suggestions for improving our themes. For this release, we’ve added many of the requested changes to our free theme – so anyone can download Make and enjoy the enhancements!
Here’s a quick rundown of the improvements we made.
Did you know that Surf Office, Postmatic, Yeah Dave, and over 700,000 small businesses run their websites with Make, our free WordPress page builder. Discover the Make page builder now.
Updates to Make
These changes focus on giving you additional flexibility when adapting Make to your design preferences:
- Header bar menu: We added a new menu area you can place at the top of any page. To add the menu area, go to “Navigation” in the WordPress Theme Customizer and select it from a dropdown.
- Improved responsive handling of Banner sections: Banner sections have been improved to better accommodate mobile device users.
- Show or hide comment counts: Previously, you couldn’t show comment counts for posts. Now you can show or hide comment counts per your preference.
- Additional control over post data display: When you choose post meta attributes (e.g., author, date) to display with your posts, you can also choose where they appear – below the post content or above it.
- Use the Builder for Custom Post Types: Advanced users can register Builder support for Custom Post Types by adding code to a child theme. For example, to use the Builder for a Custom Post Type titled “Books,” you would place the following code in your child theme:
add_post_type_support( 'book', 'make-builder' );.
Updates to Make Plus
In addition to the updates described above, Make Plus users now benefit from:
- New layout options for text columns: When adding two or three text columns to a page, you can make columns wider or narrower than others.
- Additional layout setting overrides: We added more layout override options at the page and post levels. Now you can override group-level settings for the post date location, post author location, and comment count.
- Offset parameter for the Post List section: Advanced users can offset results when using post listings to make WordPress return a set posts meeting specific criteria. Instead of always starting with the first result, you can specify which results to return.
We think these enhancements give you even more flexibility when using Make and Make Plus to build a website that’s all your own. Thanks so much to everyone who sent us feedback and recommendations. We couldn’t have made these improvements without you!
To experience the updates in action, simply download Make for free.