Installing your new theme
- Download your new theme package to your computer.
- From your WordPress dashboard navigate to Appearance → Themes.
- Click on the Install Themes tab at the top of the screen.
- Click on the small Upload link just underneath the tabs at the top.
- Click on the Browse… button and choose the package you just downloaded.
- Click the Install Now button when prompted.
- Click the Manage Themes tab at the top of the page.
- Find your theme and click the Activate link below the screenshot.
- You’re done! Enjoy your new theme.
I can’t choose the theme folder to upload
Safari automatically decompresses .zip files on download, and WordPress requires a .zip file for this step. Head back to your downloads page, right click on the Download button, and select Download Linked File As… from the menu. Choose a location and then find that .zip file for step #5.
If you can’t right click, open Safari and navigate to Preferences → General. Now un-check the Open “safe” files after downloading option and re-download the theme.
I don’t see the Install Themes tab
You’re most likely using WordPress.com. Themes purchased on this site require a self-hosted WordPress installation.
I’m receiving a “Destination folder already exists” error message
Log in to your server via FTP and delete any matching folders from your /wp-content/themes directory. For example, if you were installing Vigilance you would need to delete the vigilance folder.