Focused on improving our themes
Routinely improving and updating our themes is very important to us. This doesn’t mean just keeping up with WordPress standards, but also adding new features and improvements from time to time. For example, Vigilance now features a drop down navigation menu and Traction includes a full-width page template. We also hired WordPress expert and core contributor Austin Matzko (aka filosofo) to help us with this recent update. Austin did an awesome job of auditing, refactoring, and streamlining a ton of theme code.
Did you know that Surf Office, Postmatic, Yeah Dave, and over 700,000 small businesses run their websites with Make, our free WordPress page builder. Discover the Make page builder now.
The old navigation menu controls in your Theme Options page have been removed (found in Vigilance, Titan, Paperpunch, and Traction). If you were using them, please setup and use the new WordPress 3.0 menus. The new built-in WordPress menus have all the functionality of the old menus and then some. Be sure to take note of your menu setup before you upgrade. Setup your new menus by navigating to Appearance → Menus.
All stylesheets and scripts are now enqueued from the
themename-extend.phpfile. If you previously made changes to your
We packed a ton of new stuff into this release, below is a quick overview of some of the important changes.
- All themes – Code: Improved and streamlined PHP logic on image rotation scripts.
- All themes – Code: Converted to the new WordPress
- All themes – Code: Updated several function calls to use WordPress 3.0+ standards.
- All themes – Code: Removed support for old navigation menus. All themes now require WordPress 3.0+.
- All themes – Code: Moved all theme functions into the core method for easy child theme overrides.
- All themes – Code: Properly enqueued all stylesheets and scripts for better compatibility.
- All themes – Security: Added anti-XSS measures in several spots where theme data is saved.
- All themes – Security: Added espaces to several attribute values.
- All themes – Localization: Improved localization coverage and string formatting across all themes.
- Paperpunch – Bugfix: Clear float on navigation.
- Photography – New feature: Choose a photo size (medium or large) for your Flickr galleries.
- Photography – Enhancement: Added a spinner for the light color scheme.
- Photography – Bugfix: Fixed Flickr reset issue.
- Photography – Bugfix: Added styling for
- Photography – Bugfix: Fixed thumbnail hovers in IE.
- Shelf for Tumblr – Bugfix: Don’t show date separator if there are no tags.
- Titan – New feature: Footer has been fully “widgetized”.
- Titan – New feature: HTML5.
- Titan – Enhancement: Cleanup stylesheet and add table of contents.
- Traction – New feature: Full-width page template for all three color schemes.
- Traction – Speed Enhancement: Switched to sprites on background images to save HTTP requests.
- Traction – Enhancement: Added support for
- Traction – Bugfix: Fix featured container height with only one featured post.
- Vigilance – New feature: Drop down navigation menus.
- Vigilance – Enhancement: Add automatic feed link support.
- Vigilance – Enhancement: Stylesheet cleanup.
Note: Shelf will be updated again soon with bugfixes and support for the new WordPress 3.1 post formats.