Install the Make child theme
Before making changes to the theme code, we recommend that you install a child theme. This ensures that your changes won’t be lost when updating to a new version of Make.
Download and install the theme
- Start by downloading the Make child theme.
- Navigate to Appearance → Themes and click .
- Click .
- Click and choose the file you just downloaded, then click .
- Once it is installed, click .
We’ve put together these guides to help get you started customizing your child theme. If you get stuck, let us know in our Help Center and we’ll try to point you in the right direction!
- Editing CSS and template files
- WordPress child theme basics
- How to customize a WordPress theme
- Add custom CSS to WordPress
Are you seeing the following notice?
“You’ve activated a child theme! It looks like the parent theme’s settings have previously been configured in the Customizer. Would you like to import these settings into the child theme?”
This notice will appear if you’ve made changes in the Customizer of the parent theme before installing the child theme. If you choose to import those settings to your child theme, they will overwrite anything you’ve already set in the child theme.
To keep it simple, we suggest you only import these settings when you first install your child theme.